Friday, August 15, 2014

Press Release From Frets Nirvana About Veterans' Charity Work


I hope you are doing well.  As you may know I have been very involved over the last four years with the Wounded Warriors Project in order to help our wounded veterans.   With the help with a lot of my friends we have  accomplished sending over $40000 in donations to WWP over these lats few years.  It is with great pride that I say this. Our wounded veterans deserve all the help we can give them.

However, as of August 15 I am disappointed to say that I am forced to change my allegiance to another Veteran's Support Organization for any benefits targeted at helping our wounded warriors in Second Life.  There are a couple reasons for this:

1.  Over the last four years all donations have been passed through my personal account and then transferred to WWP.  Every dime of the donations have been sent to WWP and I have documents relevant to that.  This was the only method that I was able to facilitate.  WWP would not set up an account with Linden Labs and Linden Labs does not have a mechanism for transferring money out to a Charity directly.   As of January 2014 I was informed that I have a personal tax exposure to these donations even though they all went to WWP.  As a result I have to change this arrangement.

2.  I tried for over the last three months to get WWP to open an account with Linden Labs so all donations could go to a direct WWP account.   I found WWP to be unresponsive to my requests and hard to communicate with on this topic.

As a result I was forced to search  for another organization that I could work with and that I also felt was dedicated to helping our wounded veterans as effectively and efficiently as possible.  We must put all of the fantastic support from those who donate in Second Life to the best use for our wounded veterans.

After contacting several veteran support organizations about this opportunity and conducting  extensive communication, I am happy to recommend the "Homes for our Troops" charitable organization for future benefit opportunities in Second Life.  

HFOT provides Specially Adapted Homes Completed for Injured Veterans

Note the following:

1. Over 90% of all donations sent to  HFOT  go directly to helping our wounded veterans.
2.  HFOT has a four star rating from charity navigator.
3.  HFOT has agreed to open an account with Linden Labs so that all donations will go directly to them.

You can find out more about HFOT here:

https://www.hfotusa.org/home


It is my hope that we can continue to make a difference in the lives of our wounded warriors.  Hopefully we can actually improve on what we have already started going forward.

This will take a little time to get set up going forward.  Donation kiosks will need to be created and events will need to be organized.  But I am confident we can build on what we have already done.


Thank you once again for all your support.  I am honored to be a part of this effort.

Frets Nirvana

No comments:

Post a Comment